Tuesday, December 7, 2021
spot_img
HomeNewsMiscMan saved from Bermondsey flat fire

Man saved from Bermondsey flat fire

A man was rescued from a flat fire last week after cooking was left unattended.

A neighbour, who smelled burning in a seven-storey block of flats in Lockwood Square, called the emergency services at around 9.47pm.

Three fire engines and 14 firefighters attended the scene and “forced their way” in to save the man, who was suffering from smoke inhalation.

The fire severely damaged the kitchen but was brought under control by just after 11.20pm. A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “This man is very lucky to have an attentive neighbour and a working smoke alarm. If he didn’t, he might not have survived this fire.

“Our advice is to have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home and the safest option is have the alarms linked together. This will give the earliest warning if there is a fire in your home.”

 

RELATED ARTICLES

Most Popular

Recent Comments

Michael Peacock on The King of Nunhead
EricEatsPickles on Letters to the editor: 09/11/17
Bermonds03 on Rye Station
WesternApproaches on When The Blitz came to Southwark
WesternApproaches on When The Blitz came to Southwark
WesternApproaches on When The Blitz came to Southwark
Peter Bavington on Letters to the editor: 08/12/16
Darren McCreery on Letters: 25/05/16
Paula Griffin on Letters: 25/05/16
Catherine Stephens on COLUMN: Harriet Harman MP
Terrie Walker Amor on £5k raised for brave Southwark kids
Francis Githaiga on GALLERY: Walworth’s Got Talent!
Charlotté India Péto on TOMMY BLACKMORE: Photos and tributes
Jemma Louise Dwyer on Competition: WIN a bike worth £500!
SAMANTHA JANE HATTON on Tributes pour in for Barry Albin-Dyer
Mrs. Stephanie Lodge on