Friday, January 28, 2022
HomeNewsHealthCoronavirus: Essential information and how to get urgent help

Coronavirus: Essential information and how to get urgent help

How to get urgent help

If you know a vulnerable Southwark resident who is unable to leave the house and may not have friends, family or neighbours to support them, you should let the council know immediately.

Call 0207 525 5000 and choose option 3


You can complete an online referral form by visiting

Financial support for households

Southwark Council’s Emergency Hardship Fund is open to people who have lost their job or are struggling financially as a result of COVID-19.  This includes support while waiting for the first Universal Credit payment.

Call 020 7525 2434 or apply via


If you are unable to afford food, some food banks and organisations can arrange deliveries if you are unable to leave the house.

Free services include Southwark food bank (You will need to be referred with a voucher to access support.) Call 020 7732 0007 or email

Pembroke House, based in Walworth, 020 7703 3803 and

Borough Free Fridge, St George The Martyr, Borough High Street, Tuesdays 3-5pm

There is a full list of organisations on Southwark Council’s website.

If you need help with deliveries/ errands Mutual Aid Groups can be a valuable resource

Southwark’s COVID-19 Mutual Aid groups have been set up by volunteers in your area to support their neighbours.

These are self-organising groups and usually not council-affiliated or charity-run.  Be careful when sharing information and requests on social media.

The Southwark Facebook group is named “Southwark Mutual Aid Covid 19”. There are also ward-level and even street-level groups on Whatsapp. To find yours, click here.

In the first instance, we recommend contacting the council if you are in need of extra, or specialist support. For example, if you receive at home care or have complex health needs.

If you are struggling with support or have a problem you need help with, your MP, or your ward councillors, can also help. For example, if you are unable to get food delivered or have problems with utilities or services.

Nunhead and Peckham

Nunhead Knocks is helping people in the Nunhead and Peckham areas, including with prescription deliveries via Krystal Pharmacy.

This is a group set up by Nunhead Rocks founder Claire Sheppard. The group has set up secure systems for managing personal information.

If you need help call 02074594428 or message via their website here.


Housing help

If you are struggling with rent or rent-related costs, and receive Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit, the council may be able to either give you a ‘discretionary housing payment’, or ‘extended payment of housing benefit’.

If you are living in Southwark Council temporary accommodation and need help with any Coronavirus-related issues, call 020 7525 1093.

If you are made homeless the emergency out of hours service number is 020 7525 5000.


Rough sleeping

If you see a rough sleeper or know someone is sleeping on the streets, alert StreetLink whose outreach workers can get them into safe accommodation.

Either download the app, call 0300 500 0914, or visit the website here.

If they are in immediate danger or need urgent care call 999.

Financial support for charities and community groups

Charities and groups helping people during the pandemic, or that are now more stretched financially due to the outbreak, can apply for support.

Applications are open for monthly rounds – April’s deadline is Monday, 13th.

Forms and further information, including eligibility criteria, are available online:

Food parcels for the ‘shielded’

From this week onwards Southwark Council will be able to make 250 deliveries of essential food supplies to the most vulnerable residents shielding themselves from COVID-19.

Already, 152 food parcels have been dropped off to those in greatest need, with 50 more sent to partner organisations for delivery.

The supplies – for clinically vulnerable groups identified at most risk – are being coordinated with the borough’s food banks, Community Southwark, Pembroke House, Age UK and various tenant and resident organisations.

If you believe you should be in this group, but have not been contacted, call Southwark Council or your GP.



  1. I was informed by Southwark council shielding (Nelson Square office i think) that I would be getting a food parcel delivered about 2 weeks ago as I was shielding. My daughter looks after mum and dad she does everything she can. But I need gluten-free stuff and she has to do housework laundry etc everything. She only gets paid for 1 parent. So the fellow on the phone said that the parcels were no problem. But we’re still waiting with no news back from them.I use my daughters email.

Comments are closed.

Most Popular

Recent Comments