Evacuated residents were allowed back into their Walworth homes late last night after a major gas leak at Manor Place.
First discovered at around 10am, the area around Manor Place and Crampton Street was cordoned off while emergency services and gas company SGN got to work.
Both roads were closed and trains through Elephant and Castle cancelled.
The Castle Centre opened its doors to people unable to go home, but after hours of limited information and no updates, frustrated residents took to twitter pleading for information on whether they would have to find another bed for the night.
The gas leak evacuation on Manor Place is ongoing #SE17 – if you need accommodation The Castle is providing a rest centre on behalf of @lb_southwark & other space being sought urgently. Council website being updated soon. Still waiting for any useful info from @SGNgas
— Neil Coyle (@coyleneil) July 22, 2019
— Rebecca Ellis (@ellabeccis) July 22, 2019
Fortunately, nearly 12 hours later, the cordon came down late on Monday night with the first people allowed back into the area after 10pm after safety checks were completed, including police from Walworth Station.
We've completed the emergency repairs to our gas network in Manor Place, Southwark – the road has reopened and we're starting to allow people back into their properties, although some safety checks are still being carried out. Full info: https://t.co/zIWbXFhG4F
— SGN (@SGNgas) July 22, 2019
Following the #GasLeak in #ManorPlace #Walworth, the road has now reopened. Walworth Police Station front counter will resume normal service in due course. Thank you for your patience.
@LFBSouthwark @lb_southwark @SGNgas https://t.co/oV80aXoSMo
— Southwark Police | Central South BCU (@MPSSouthwark) July 22, 2019