Thursday, June 30, 2022
HomeNewsEmergency servicesHero Millwall fan hopes to meet police officers who rushed him to...

Hero Millwall fan hopes to meet police officers who rushed him to hospital after terror attack

Roy Larner, the Millwall fan stabbed several times while fighting off terrorists during the London Bridge attack, has told the News he wants to meet and thank the police officers who rushed him to hospital.

Roy, 47, has been recovering in hospital after fending off three terrorists armed with knives in the Black and Blue restaurant in Borough.

Almost £50,000 has been raised for the Lions supporter, originally from Peckham, who shouted “f*** you, I’m Millwall” as he laid into the attackers.

Hundreds have also called for Roy to be awarded the George Cross for his act of bravery in a campaign backed by Bermondsey and Old Southwark MP Neil Coyle.

The father-of-one was rushed to hospital in the back of a police car by two officers he believes were from Peckham police station – and who he hopes to meet and thank once he is well enough.

“I was having a quick pint in the market first and then I went to the Black and Blue pub,” he said, recalling the events of that horrific night.

“I had my back to the front door of the pub and I saw people panicking and running around.

“We didn’t know what was going on but we could see people running and as I turned around to the front door there were these three blokes trying to smash the glass door.

“They kicked the door through and shouted ‘Allah’. In hindsight, I should’ve run.”

Borough Market traders bow their heads during a one minute’s silence in memory of the attack victims (Credit: Christian Fisher)

Rather than running away from the attackers, Roy attempted to stop them from getting into the restaurant area of the pub where there were children.

“It was just an instant reaction, I don’t know why, I just went for one of them and the other two were heading towards the restaurant but then the three of them started on me,” he said.

“I was stopping one of them to stop them going into the restaurant area where the kids were.

“It all happened so quick, I was just trying to defend myself.

“I somehow managed to get out and they followed me out. They [the police] were shooting around me. I remember knocking on some other door to let me in.”

Roy suffered eight wounds and has had a number of operations but hopes he will be able to leave hospital this weekend.

“I’m lucky to be here,” he said. “I’m feeling okay given what’s happened, I’m feeling better.

“The more I get out and have a coffee downstairs and see people, the better I feel.

“The hospital has offered me support which I will take.

“There’s not even a name I could call those people, I wouldn’t even call them animals; but they didn’t win because they’re dead now.”

Roy said he could not praise the emergency services highly enough and that the support he had received from the community had been overwhelming.

“It makes you feel like you’ve done something right,” he said.


Most Popular

Recent Comments