Friday, November 26, 2021
spot_img
HomeNewsEmergency servicesFire at Elephant and Castle believed to have been sparked by dropped...

Fire at Elephant and Castle believed to have been sparked by dropped cigarette

Firefighters have blamed a chucked cigarette as the likely cause of a market stall fire in Elephant and Castle this week.

Firefighters were called at 5.13am yesterday to reports of a fire at the outdoor market near the shopping centre and station.

Four engines and 25 firefighters arrived on the scene and had the blaze under control an hour later.

No one was injured but a store cupboard under some stairs was destroyed and a food stall next door was left partly damaged.

The London Fire Brigade says a discarded cigarette is the most likely culprit, with a spokesperson warning: “If you’re a smoker it’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.

“If you don’t, you risk causing a fire that will cause a lot of damage, but also may cost lives.”

RELATED ARTICLES

Most Popular

Recent Comments

Michael Peacock on The King of Nunhead
EricEatsPickles on Letters to the editor: 09/11/17
Bermonds03 on Rye Station
WesternApproaches on When The Blitz came to Southwark
WesternApproaches on When The Blitz came to Southwark
WesternApproaches on When The Blitz came to Southwark
Peter Bavington on Letters to the editor: 08/12/16
Darren McCreery on Letters: 25/05/16
Paula Griffin on Letters: 25/05/16
Catherine Stephens on COLUMN: Harriet Harman MP
Terrie Walker Amor on £5k raised for brave Southwark kids
Francis Githaiga on GALLERY: Walworth’s Got Talent!
Charlotté India Péto on TOMMY BLACKMORE: Photos and tributes
Jemma Louise Dwyer on Competition: WIN a bike worth £500!
SAMANTHA JANE HATTON on Tributes pour in for Barry Albin-Dyer