Thursday, December 9, 2021
HomeNewsCrimeTeenaged boy bailed until late September in connection with Walworth murder investigation

Teenaged boy bailed until late September in connection with Walworth murder investigation

Detectives are continuing to appeal for information following the death of a Walworth man last Thursday.

A 19-year-old male was arrested on Tuesday and bailed to a date in late September, in connection to the murder investigation for 25-year-old Reginald Ofei-Berko’s death.

Reginald was found lying on the pavement in Penrose Street “unresponsive” on August 25, shortly after 3.05pm.

He was found with injuries which Detective Chief Inspector Chris Jones said were “consistent with being assaulted”, and died later that day at King’s College Hospital.

DCI Jones told the News he believes the victim could have been struck by a bicycle, and that he believed Reginald was confronted by a group of four men: three black and one white man.

CCTV images were released from a camera in a Walworth Road pawnbrokers, which shows Reginald leaving the shop at 1.20pm. He was also thought to have been at East Street Market at 2.45pm.

A post-mortem examination on Friday, August 26, did not establish a cause of death.

Reginald’s grandmother – his next of kin – was said to be “distraught” and desperate to find out what happened to him.

DCI Jones also told the News that Reginald could have been sleeping rough in the days before the attack, as they were unable to ascertain where he had been staying.

Reginald was said to be a local man, who frequented the Penrose Street area. “He would have been well known in the area,” DCI Jones said.

“I believe that someone holds vital information that will assist our investigation into how Reginald Ofei-Berko died.

“He was found lying in the street, close to Walworth Road, in the middle of the afternoon. This is a busy road, and with the hot weather, there would have been a lot of people out and about.

“We know there was an altercation involving a group of four men and Reginald in the Penrose Street area in the time leading up to 3pm on Thursday, 25 August.

“We are extremely keen to talk to anyone who either took part in this altercation or who witnessed such an incident.

“I would also like to speak with anyone who saw Reginald after he left the shop. Where did he go? We know he was close to the East Street Market at 2.45pm, but where else had he been?

“Any piece of information, however small, might be vital to us – so we would urge any members of the public who can help to please come forward and contact us.”

Anyone with information should call the incident room number on 020 83453734 or via 101. Alternatively, they can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 500 111.


Most Popular

Recent Comments

Michael Peacock on The King of Nunhead
EricEatsPickles on Letters to the editor: 09/11/17
Bermonds03 on Rye Station
WesternApproaches on When The Blitz came to Southwark
WesternApproaches on When The Blitz came to Southwark
WesternApproaches on When The Blitz came to Southwark
Peter Bavington on Letters to the editor: 08/12/16
Darren McCreery on Letters: 25/05/16
Paula Griffin on Letters: 25/05/16
Catherine Stephens on COLUMN: Harriet Harman MP
Terrie Walker Amor on £5k raised for brave Southwark kids
Francis Githaiga on GALLERY: Walworth’s Got Talent!
Charlotté India Péto on TOMMY BLACKMORE: Photos and tributes
Jemma Louise Dwyer on Competition: WIN a bike worth £500!