Tuesday, December 7, 2021
HomeNewsCrimeUPDATE: Southwark Park re-opens following fatal stabbing of Rocky Djelal

UPDATE: Southwark Park re-opens following fatal stabbing of Rocky Djelal

The Gomm Road entrance to Southwark Park has re-opened following a fatal stabbing there on Wednesday afternoon.

Police yesterday named the victim as Rocky Djelal, 38, of Bermondsey, who was stabbed to death shortly before 2pm on Wednesday in broad daylight in the middle of the busy park.

The emergency services had rushed to the scene following reports of the stabbing, but were unable to save his life.

The Gomm Road entrance to the park had been cordoned off while officers dealt with the crime scene.

Officers yesterday said that they believed Rocky may have been targeted in the ‘brazen’ daylight attack, which took place near to children playing.

Detective Chief Inspector Simon Harding said: “This was a calculated and brazen attack, carried out in broad daylight in the middle of a busy park where children were playing.

“Any speculation about the motive is unhelpful at this early stage, but we do believe that Rocky may have been targeted.”

Mr Djelal is believed to have been recently released from prison for his role in a gang which carried out a ‘mistaken identity’ killing of a Borough man in 2013.

Chris Foster had been drinking at the St. Christopher’s Inn pub on Borough High Street when he was stabbed.

The gang had attacked the father-of-one, believing him to be somebody else. He tragically died after being stabbed in the back.

Mr Djelal had been sentenced to six years in prison at the trial in November 2014, after pleading guilty to conspiracy to cause GBH.

The charge related to the planned attack on the intended victim.



Witnesses have described the man who is believed to have killed Rocky as a white male thought to be aged between 20-35 years old, wearing dark clothing with a hood covering his face.

He was also wearing a fluorescent hi-vis vest over the top of his clothing.

The suspect was seen on CCTV approaching Mr Djelal to stab him, police have said – before then casually walking away.

DCI Harding added: “CCTV footage shows that the suspect was alone in the park shortly before the murder.

“He then left the park and re-entered via the Gomm Road entrance where he approached the victim and killed him.

“He then casually walked away after stabbing Rocky.

“There would have been numerous witnesses to both the attack and the events after the attack, including those who saw which direction the suspect went.

“I would appeal to anyone who has information that could assist this investigation to contact police immediately.”

Anyone with information is urged to call the incident room on 0208 721 4205 or Crimestoppers anonymously via 0800 555 111.

You can also tweet police via @MetCC


Most Popular

Recent Comments

Michael Peacock on The King of Nunhead
EricEatsPickles on Letters to the editor: 09/11/17
Bermonds03 on Rye Station
WesternApproaches on When The Blitz came to Southwark
WesternApproaches on When The Blitz came to Southwark
WesternApproaches on When The Blitz came to Southwark
Peter Bavington on Letters to the editor: 08/12/16
Darren McCreery on Letters: 25/05/16
Paula Griffin on Letters: 25/05/16
Catherine Stephens on COLUMN: Harriet Harman MP
Terrie Walker Amor on £5k raised for brave Southwark kids
Francis Githaiga on GALLERY: Walworth’s Got Talent!
Charlotté India Péto on TOMMY BLACKMORE: Photos and tributes
Jemma Louise Dwyer on Competition: WIN a bike worth £500!