Saturday, May 28, 2022
HomeNewsCrime'Justice finally prevails': Mother of Borough rape victim praises courts for increasing...

‘Justice finally prevails’: Mother of Borough rape victim praises courts for increasing predator’s ‘lenient’ sentence

The mother of a rape victim who was violently attacked in Borough has praised the courts for increasing the rapist’s sentence.

Wilfred Marodza, 28, attacked two women in Borough last year within hours of each other, and was originally jailed for fourteen years for his sickening crimes.

An appeal quashed that verdict last week, which was found to be unduly lenient, and raised it to sixteen years with five years on license.

The mother of one of the victims, who is not named to protect her daughter’s identity, said that the family were relieved justice had finally prevailed.

“Of course it will never compensate for the horrendous physical and psychological trauma my daughter suffered during the attack, or the after effects of which, she will carry for the rest of her life,” she said.

“It does however bring some degree of closure for her and us as a family, and with that, hope for a positive and happy future.”

Previously, Marodza could have been out in just seven years.

A court had heard that trainee lawyer Marodza was drinking with friends after work on July 19 in London Bridge, but was thrown out of the bar for harassing women.

He began to follow one of his victims on Great Dover Street, who was on her way home, and grabbed her from behind by the neck.

Marodza, who confessed to his crimes, marched her to Dickens Fields and forced her to strip naked before raping her multiple times.

The vile predator threatened to kill her, the court heard, saying: “I’m going to have to bury you now.”

The victim managed to escape and run, but was chased by Marodza. She was taken to a police station by a passing motorist who stopped and challenged the rapist.

Just one hour later, Marodza attacked again, this time targeting a woman who was waiting for a bus on Borough High Street.

He began talking to her and offered her an escort to a cab office. But as they were walking, Marodza dragged her into a side street.

The victim managed to escape after screaming.

Marodza, from Eastbourne, Sussex, was arrested the same day after cops found his work ID at the bar he had been drinking in.

Detective Sergeant Jonny Norman said he was “very pleased” that Marodza, “a dangerous sexual predator,” would serve more time behind bars.

“We will always fully support victims and their families if they feel that justice has not been served.”


Most Popular

Recent Comments