Friday, May 20, 2022
spot_img
HomeEmergency servicesFirefighters issue safety advice after woman rescued from flat fire

Firefighters issue safety advice after woman rescued from flat fire

A woman was rescued from a flat blaze caused by an item left on a cooker, by firefighters in south-east London.

She was treated on the scene by London Ambulance Service crews. Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Beckenham, Forest Hill and West Norwood fire stations attended the scene in Crystal Palace.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus rescued a woman from a living room, where part of a four-roomed flat on the second floor of a residential block was damaged by the fire.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by an item left on a cooker.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Fires are more likely to start in the kitchen than any other room in the home.

“It’s really important that you don’t leave cooking unattended and never leave fabrics, such as tea towels, near to a cooker or a hob, because they can catch alight very easily.

“Please also take care with loose clothing that can easily catch fire. Don’t lean over the hob when cooking and roll up sleeves that might hang over the stove.”

Following the incident, firefighters have issued safety advice on how to avoid similar incidents in your own kitchen.

These include never leaving cooking unattended and having a heat alarm fitted. They also advise ordering a takeaway instead of cooking if you’re very tired, drunk or on medication that makes you drowsy.

RELATED ARTICLES

Most Popular

Recent Comments